Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Packing for Guatemala


I just wrote up my packing list for Guatemala. We leave Saturday, to the country where I left my clothes and my heart: a land of hard-working, ever-loving people, beautiful countryside, charming children, abject poverty. Hopefully I'll make a tiny dent in the need, by helping rebuild after the hurricane, or translating on a medical team - wherever I am asked to lend a hand.

I spent a lot of time with these two guys on the 2008 mission - we built a 12-foot wall together, to protect the school from thieves.

I laughed when I saw the first three items on my list, check it out:

Knitting
IDs, money, credit card, bank card
water bottle

A la Maslow's hierarchy of needs, I find self-fulfillment first on my list. Perhaps only knitters would understand this!

No comments: